Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More on Alan Segal

A TRIBUTE TO ALAN SEGAL in Time Magazine by former student Joe Klein: The Rivers of Babylon. Excerpt:
... Alan Segal died a few days ago, after a long illness. He was not much of a believer, he once confessed to me. But I disagree. He belonged to the cathedral of learning, a blessed place where penitents transcend and lose themselves in a larger, deeper, boundless world. Scholarship was his Jerusalem. He inspired me and I'd like to see him off now, and thank him, with a portion of the psalm he used to welcome his students into his classroom:

How can we sing the songs of the LORD

while in a foreign land?

5If I forget you, O Jerusalem,

may my right hand forget [its skill].

6May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth

if I do not remember you,

if I do not consider Jerusalem

my highest joy.
On a related note, Diana Muir Appelbaum has written to me to say that Alan showed her a late draft of a complete book manuscript last summer, which he intended to publish. Does anyone know the status of this manuscript, which would be his final book?

UPDATE: Tzvee Zahavy e-mails:
Alan's book is complete and at the publisher in the final phases prior to publication.

His expansive thoughtful review of my son's book appeared on the Brill site yesterday, I saw it there after returning from Alan's funeral.

A REVIEW OF YITZHAK ZAHAVY, ARCHAEOLOGY, STAMPS, AND COINS OF THE STATE OF ISRAEL

The Review of Rabbinic Judaism
ISSN: 1568-4857, Online ISSN: 1570-0704
DOI: 10.1163/157007010X536339
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 262-274
http://brill.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/rrj/2010/00000013/00000002/art00008
UPDATE: Another tribute from Jeffrey Garcia at his Helek Tov blog. (HT Joseph Lauer.)