Wednesday, July 16, 2003

A NEW ARTICLE IN THE JERUSALEM PERSPECTIVE PIPELINE:

A Quest for the Lost Hebrew Gospel
by David Bivin


I've recommended articles on this site in the past, so I should note that this is a very weak piece on the Semitic language background of the Gospels, which pretty much ignores the secondary literature (on the NT and on retroversion) over the last century. It also mixes up the question of reconstructing Q (composed in Greek) with the quite separate question of retroverting a Hebrew or Aramaic original from a Greek translation. Rather than trying to evaluate the piece at length (which I don't have time to do), I'll refer you to my paper on the latter problem for the Greek Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha. I'm writing it now for presentation next week at the International Society of Biblical Literature meeting in Cambridge and, as usual, I'll post it before I go. Read it and you should be able to see why I'm so disappointed with this article, even as a popular presentation.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment