Friday, November 16, 2012

SBL 2012

I'M OFF TO CHICAGO for the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. On Saturday I am scheduled to present a paper in the Esotericism and Mysticism in Antiquity Section:
Esotericism and Mysticism in Antiquity
11/17/2012
1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Room:
W181c - McCormick Place

Theme: Demonology and Angelology

Paul Pasquesi, Presiding
Book Review Panel: Andrei Orlov, Dark Mirrors
Andrei Orlov, Marquette University, Panelist (10 min)
Rebecca Lesses, Ithaca College, Panelist (15 min)
Discussion (15 min)
Break (5 min)
Papers
Jonathan Knight, York Saint John University
The political demonology of The Ascension of Isaiah: A reply to Enrico Norelli (20 min)
Kevin Sullivan, Illinois Wesleyan University
"What’s in a Name?" Demons, Exorcisms and Esoteric Knowledge of Names (20 min)
Jeff Pettis, New Brunswick Seminary
Drug of the Widow: Isis and the angels at Hermopolis (20 min)
Jim Davila, University of St. Andrews
The Ninety-four Books of Ezra and the Angelic Revelations of John Dee (20 min)
Discussion (25 min)
Follow the link on my paper title to download a pdf file of the whole paper (due to time constraints, this is a somewhat longer version than the one I will present at the session). You can also read the abstract here (the one at the SBL site has one or two uncorrected errors that are corrected at the link).

One article cited in the paper is available online (but behind a subscription wall):

James Justin Sledge, Between Loagaeth and Cosening: Towards an Etiology of John Dee's Spirit Diaries," (Aries 10 (2010): 1-35.

Also of interest:

Egil Asprem, "'Enochian' language: A proof of the existence of angels?" Skepsis (13.12.2006)


I will let you know when I am in Chicago and networked again. I have pre-posted something for each day that I will be away, so please do keep coming back as usual. Beyond that, I will blog as often as time permits, but that may not be much.

UPDATE: Date in header now corrected to 2012. I do know what year it is. Really, I do. I was working on the 2013 British New Testament Conference preparations as I was writing this post and conference and 2013 just seemed to go together.