Sunday, August 17, 2003

THAT MEL GIBSON QUOTATION AGAIN: Terry Lawson, Free Press Movie Writer, discusses The Passion in the Detroit Free Press and uses the dowdified quotation in even briefer form:

He [Gibson] also says that "The Passion" is not anti-Semitic in its depiction of why Jesus was crucified, but that "anybody who transgresses has to look at their own part or look at their own culpability."


As before, quoting the whole sentence would have nuanced Gibson's statement considerably. Describing it in the context of both of O'Reilly's two immediately preceding questions would have nuanced it further. I have e-mailed Mr. Lawson to alert him to my post of 5 August on the subject. He's on vacation too, until 25 August, but we'll see what comes of it.

Again, I am not defending The Passion, which is likely enough to score as high on the bogosity index as any Hollywood movie. But I'll wait to formulate an opinion until I see the whole movie. Meanwhile, I do think the discussion should represent accurately what all parties are saying.